15 Ways to Raise Awareness About Hunger Before the Month Ends
You may have heard September is a pretty big month for us at Second Harvest Heartland. That’s because it’s Hunger Action Month, a nationwide campaign with Feeding America.
With your involvement in mind, Gov. Mark Dayton declared in a proclamation that this September is “Hunger Action Month” in Minnesota. The work gets done when we recognize we are all in this together.
There is something for everyone this month—for those who love live music, to those who like to know their efforts are getting maximized, or to those who just appreciate the color orange. More and more people get involved with Hunger Action Month each year. Everyone has a part, and everyone can make this month powerful with their participation.
Below are some of the ways to make the most of Hunger Action Month. There’s something for everybody!
For the orange lover
- Orange-lit buildings—Don’t miss Voya Financial and Calhoun Square on Sept. 8 as they light their buildings orange for Hunger Action Day.
- Wear orange—Wear orange, the official color of Hunger Awareness, to boldly show your support for hunger relief.
- Orange-lit bridges—Lowry Avenue Bridge and the Saint Anthony Bridge (I-35W) will both be lit with orange lights after sunset on Sept. 8 to raise awareness.
For the maximizer
- Donate—Donations will be matched dollar for dollar up to $50,000. This is made possible by United HealthCare. How many times can you say one dollar can buy six meals?
- Volunteer—Never has your volunteer hour counted more. For every hour, Bremer Bank will match with a $5 donation up to $50,000. Bring a friend or loved one and schedule your shift today!
For the beer appreciator
- Deschutes Street Pub—This Saturday on Sept. 10, Deschutes Brewery is putting on an outdoor family-friendly event with live music in downtown Minneapolis. All proceeds from the event go to Second Harvest Heartland.
- Indeed We Can—Indeed Brewery is hosting an event for Second Harvest Heartland on Wednesday, Sept. 28. Stop by with your friends for a great evening, all to benefit hunger relief.
For the social media guru
- Profile pics—Change your profile image on Facebook and Twitter to show your support for Hunger Action Month.
- #HungerActionMonth—Use this hashtag to raise awareness in your networks!
- @2harvest—Like, follow and tag Second Harvest Heartland as you talk with fellow supporters online.
- Selfie with orange—Take a selfie wearing orange apparel to post on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. Don’t forget to use the #HungerActionMonth hashtag!
For the thoughtful awareness-raiser
- 1 in 10—Unfortunately, 1 in 10 people in Minnesota and western Wisconsin are experiencing hunger. Let people know about this reality: neighbors in every Heartland community need our help.
- Food & Fund Drive—Now’s the time to make a difference. Raise money for Second Harvest Heartland without the heavy lifting by doing an online drive, or go the traditional route by doing a food drive.
- Minnesota Hunger 101 simulation—This learning opportunity can shed light on the complex economic and social circumstances that lead to hunger. Request a simulation today!
- Workplace Giving—Let your coworkers know not only how big of a problem hunger is in our community, but how together, we can solve it.