Skilled Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteering Is More Than Packing Food
See below for how you can put your skills to work in many other ways at Second Harvest Heartland.
You can be an ambassador of the work we do by helping share our message in a variety of tabling & fair settings! Volunteer representatives of the Ambassador’s Bureau engage the community and educate groups about Second Harvest Heartland, hunger in Minnesota and special programs at Second Harvest Heartland through attending events and opportunities. Volunteers participate on an on-call basis with roughly 1 opportunity per month. Volunteers will receive email notifications of events to opt in/out. 6-month minimum commitment.
Second Harvest Heartland provides a box of nutritious food each month to low-income seniors 60 years and over through the Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors (NAPS). Volunteers in this role lead distribution sites where Second Harvest Heartland gives out the boxes of groceries. Working alongside the other volunteers, the Site Partner is in charge of running the grocery distribution for seniors by providing excellent customer service to our clients, cultivating and maintaining customer service excellence, and ensuring smooth, effective communication between volunteers, participants and Second Harvest Heartland Site Coordinator. This position is physical, fast-paced, and offers face-to-face client interaction on a monthly basis.
- Nicollet Towers in Minneapolis on the 4th Tuesday of the month from 8:45-10:45am
- Hopkins Village Apartments in Hopkins on the 1st Wednesday of the month from 9:15-10:45am
Second Harvest Heartland provides a box of nutritious food each month to low-income seniors 60 years and over through the Nutrition Assistance Program for Seniors (NAPS). Volunteers in this role assist at distribution sites where Second Harvest Heartland gives out the boxes of groceries. You can assist in the setup, certification and recertification of clients who receive a box and help senior clients carrying their boxes and/or loading them into their vehicles. This position is physical, fast-paced, and offers face-to-face client interaction. Current Needs:
- High Need! Parker Skyview in Minneapolis on the 2nd Friday morning of the month from 8:45-10:45am (Oromo speaking skills a plus)
- High Need! Knox Landing in Bloomington on the 1st Wednesday afternoon of the month from 12:30-2:30 pm( Russian speaking skills a plus)
- Spring Manor in Minneapolis on the 2nd Friday morning of the month from 7:45-9:00 am (Somali, Oromo or Amharic speaking skills a plus!)
- Village at Franklin Station in Bloomington on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 9:30-10:30am (carrying boxes only)
- Horn Towers in Minneapolis on the 3rd Thursday of the month from 12:00-1:45pm
- Ebenezer Park Apartments in Minneapolis on the second Monday of the month from 11:30am-2:00pm (focus on carrying boxes)
- Robbins Landing in Robbinsdale on the 3rd Friday of the month from 12:15-1:15pm (focus on carrying boxes)
You can help reduce waste & feed our hungry neighbors! We are looking for volunteers to help us continue our successful recovery of prepared food throughout the Twin Cities metro area, and we need your help. Volunteers are needed to transport food from donors to local agency partners. Volunteers will be trained in safe food transport practices and will be alerted to donation collection/delivery opportunities via their smartphone using the MealConnect app. Volunteers will have the option to accept or decline each opportunity based on their availability. Flexible opportunity with some weekday availability required. Volunteers will receive notifications through texts when a donation needs collecting, and volunteer can opt in/out. Minimum 3-month commitment .
Carrots, cereal, corn, rice, potatoes, cabbage…you name it, we pack it! Last year, we had volunteers donate over 31,000 hours of their time, and that number is only increasing. Volunteers in this leadership position will help coordinate and lead other volunteers to pack food for delivery to our partner agencies. Morning, afternoon, evening or weekend options for this weekly opportunity at our Brooklyn Park location. Have a big impact on the lives of our hungry neighbors while you interact with volunteers and help with physical set-up, restocking, and clean-up.
Second Harvest Heartland is committed to delivering the premiere volunteer experience in the Midwest, and we need your help. Volunteers in this leadership position will help support and coordinate other volunteers to pack food for our hungry neighbors with CSFP Assembly Line box packing at our Maplewood location. Afternoon, evening or weekend options available for this weekly opportunity. Have a big impact on the lives of local seniors while you interact with volunteers and help with physical set-up, restocking, and clean-up.