Talking Points for a Phone Call:
- Thank you for taking my call. My name is ________ and I live in your district.
- I know you’re very busy and appreciate the opportunity to connect with you about something that’s important to me.
- I support Second Harvest Heartland, one of the largest and most efficient hunger relief organizations in the country, located right here.
- Second Harvest Heartland serves as the hub of Minnesota’s hunger relief system. Last year alone, the food bank provided more than 81 million meals to hungry Minnesotans through our network of food shelves, program partners and food banks across the state.
- We are out of space for the high volume of food we source and distribute and need a more effective and larger facility to continue delivering the help our state needs.
- We secured a facility in Brooklyn Park and are asking for funding to renovate it.
- This is a statewide benefit, since we work with food shelves and meal programs across 41 counties in Minnesota, plus we work with all the other food banks.
- The new facility in Brooklyn Park will make it possible for Second Harvest Heartland to create 100 new jobs and feed 375,000 more Minnesotans, more cost-effectively.
- Hunger is costing our state nearly a billion dollars every year in lost productivity at work and poor health. This investment of state dollars will have a significant return for years to come.
- But we can’t do it without the state’s support. We need your help.
- I’m asking you to support this request. Can we count on that support?
- Thank you so much.
I’m writing to ask for your support of Second Harvest Heartland’s request for bonding. I’ve been a supporter of theirs for years, because I value what they do in helping get food from where there is too much to where there isn’t enough. With one in 10 Minnesotans not having enough food to eat, we need a strong, effective hunger-relief system. Second Harvest Heartland plays a key role in that by reaching 532,000 people with the nutritious food they need and keeping millions of pounds of food out of the organic waste stream.
After 30 years in the same warehouse, they need bigger and better space. The new facility in Brooklyn Park, when renovated, will make it possible for them to create 100 new jobs and feed 375,000 more Minnesotans more cost-effectively. Hunger is costing our state nearly a billion dollars every year in lost productivity at work and poor health. We can work to change that, by investing now in Second Harvest Heartland.
Please support their full request for bonding and help our state thrive.