Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month, a nationwide campaign to mobilize the public to take action against hunger. As a member of Feeding America's nationwide network of food banks, we're asking you to support Second Harvest Heartland and those we serve by taking action to raise awareness about the problem of hunger in our service area.
Volunteer for the Double Down Challenge and every hour will be matched with a $5 donation from Bremer Bank, up to $50,000.
Donations made in September will be matched by UnitedHealthcare, up to $50,000. $1 provides 6 meals!
Show your support by wearing orange on September 8 for Hunger Action Day and all month long. You can also dedicate your Facebook status, host a Food & Fund Drive, or watch for more unique ways to get involved.
Go orange for hunger relief!
Why go orange? Going orange provides an opportunity for people across the country to unify and show their support of hunger relief and raise awareness of hunger and the rising need in our communities.
- Wear the color orange on September 8, Hunger Action Day, and all month long. Share a pic of you wearing orange on social media with @2harvest and use the hashtag #HungerActionMonth.
- Make your Facebook and Twitter profiles orange this September.
- Turn a building, your office, cubicle or your home orange to raise awareness.
Buy a Hunger Action Month t-shirt!
Order our orange Hunger Action Month t-shirt for yourself and your family to wear on Hunger Action Day (Thursday, September 8) and all month long.
- 100% cotton American Apparel Fine Jersey T-Shirt.
- Available in adult unisex sixes, S–3XL.
- The back of the shirt features our Second Harvest Heartland logo.
- Cost is $11.00 for all sizes plus shipping/handling.
T-shirts will be sent directly to the address you provide. Deadline to order is Monday, August 15.
Host a Food & Fund Drive
Make a meaningful difference during Hunger Action Month by hosting a Food & Fund Drive. Not only will you help families access wholesome food that they may otherwise miss, you will also raise hunger awareness within your workplace or community.
Learn about hunger
These educational resources and tools can help you learn more about hunger and its affects.
- Guide to Hands-on Learning – learn more about hunger and actions that may be taken to tackle a growing need in our communities.
- Minnesota Hunger 101 Simulation– a unique role play simulations where participants take on the life circumstances of someone in Minnesota at risk for hunger.
Become a Monthly Giver
Hunger never takes a break. Becoming a Monthly Giver is an easy and convenient way to bring hope to kids, families and seniors all year long.
Supporting the work of Second Harvest Heartland is sometimes as easy as shopping at your favorite local business. Check out ongoing promotions designed to promote awareness and help us bring more food to hungry people.
Sign up for the Second Harvest Heartland newsletter
Become a regular volunteer
Whether it’s sorting and packing food, making phone calls, distributing food to clients or serving on our ambassador’s bureau, we have many ways to put your skills to work.
Get the facts on hunger
Get the facts on hunger, what it looks like in Minnesota, and how it affects individuals and the communities in which they live.