Take Action This September for Hunger Action Month
This September, people across the nation will step up and join the fight against hunger as part of Hunger Action Month. As a supporter of Second Harvest Heartland, you already know that hunger is more prevalent than ever: 1 in 10 people in your neighborhood is at risk of going without a meal today. But together, we can do something about it.
There are many ways for you to get involved this September; we hope you won’t choose just one. From volunteering for the Double Down Challenge to wearing orange for hunger, you can make a big impact with a few simple actions.
Double Your Impact with the Double Down Challenge
Help us hit our goal of 10,000 volunteer hours during the month of September. Every hour you volunteer for Second Harvest Heartland will be matched with a $5 donation from Bremer Bank, up to a total of $50,000! That’s enough to provide 485,000 meals to our neighbors in need! Sign up for a volunteer shift at 2harvest.org/volunteer.
September 4th is Hunger Action Day. Show your support by wearing orange on the 4th, and all month long.
- Personally: Order your $6 Hunger Action Month t-shirt and be sure to wear it on the 4th and all month long!
- Physically: Light up your home or workplace orange.
- Virtually: Dedicate your Facebook and Twitter to hunger awareness for the month. Check 2harvest.org/ham for ideas.
- Happy Hour for Hunger Relief: Our friends at Summit Brewing Company are hosting a Happy Hour for Hunger Relief at their St. Paul beer hall on Saturday, September 20 from 4-9 pm, to help raise awareness of hunger. The event is free to attend, but make sure to bring a non-perishable food item for a free Summit pint glass, or a bag of groceries for a screen printed t-shirt on-site. Enjoy a specially-made Extra Pale Ale served with mandarin oranges, food from the Hot Indian food truck, and live music from The Dan Ol’ Tri’ole band.
- Take: the SNAP challenge and live on just $4.15 a day.
- Learn: the facts of Hunger in Minnesota and share it with friends.
- Display: our 30 ways in 30 days calendar at work, in your home, and throughout your community.
- Host: a Food & Fund Drive.
For more information about Hunger Action Month or how to get involved, visit 2harvest.org/ham.